Saturday, May 29, 2021

My dog scared me and it was deja vu all over again

First I was going to put a picture at the top of the page but blogger is all , sorry we don't want your pictures right now try later. So I try later and it's still saying too bad. Ok, I'm paraphrasing but you get it don't you? I have a real hate relationship with blogger and if I hadn't done so much work with all the graphics and stuff I'd leave.

Back to my sweet Matty and why he scared me. Matty is an 8 year old black lab who other than having a delicate tummy has been healthy. On Tuesday he a had a seizure while we were at the house. I was watching FBI:Most Wanted when it happened. Now that show is like Saturday Night Live for me, brings bad memories. My Dad died while I was watching it and I haven't watched it since. Did finish watching the show on Paramount+ through Roku but kept my eyes on Matty most of the time. Talk about having too many panic attacks.

The DH was at the "play house" and wasn't answering his cell. That's normal since he often leaves it outside, in the car, in another room, even in a coat pocket but after calling 10 times with no answer I called the family he works for and Mrs. Dr. said she'd go down and check on him. Turns out he was asleep with the phone in the kitchen.

I wanted him to go to the vet asap but the DH wanted to wait a few days to see if he'd have another. He didn't but is definitely not acting like his sweet happy lab self. We did get an appointment on Tuesday but it will be a sucky weekend. All the rain and cold weather doesn't help either.

Why the deja vue? That's still hard for me to write about.....................................Yeah even harder than the 's' word.

I'll start with our first experience with seizures. We had another black lab named Mac who had minis at first when he was a pup but they became bigger and longer as he got older. By the time he was 9 he was having them every few hours and meds weren't working. We had to say goodbye to the big guy.

At the same time my bro and sis-in-law had a foster then adopted kid going thru the same thing but the meds for people were a LOT better than the ones for pets. She lived into her 20's but pneumonia took her from us.

Ok, here's the worse for me............... it's my baby girl Penny. She had 1 to 2 seizures a year, always when she was in heat (her period for non animal owners). The DH never thought they were serious enough to take her to the vet for but they did know about it when she went in for her shots. They just said keep an eye on  her and if they start happening more often to bring her in.  This is why I wanted Matty to go to the vet right away and not wait until it happened again. I mean what if this wasn't the first time? What if he had them when we were gone or asleep?.....................................................

I needed to pause, it's still too hard and it makes my heart hurt so bad

..........................................

Penny had her 2 seizures in Nov. right as she was finishing her heat cycle but a few weeks later she had 2 more and by Christmas she was having them about every 3 days.

..............................

Then came Jan. You all thought covid being found was bad but at the end of the month Penny started having seizures one after another. Nothing the vets did would stop them. We had 3 days of watching her with the last the most horrid. She did nothing but pace from one end of the kitchen to the other, drop to have a seizure, get up, and pace again till the next one hit. She was in a trance like state barely seeming like she recognized us. We tried to hold her to comfort both of us but only twice did she look into my eyes and and snuggle into my arms.

............................................................I needed to pause again, she was only 4.

At least when everything that could be done was done we were able to be with her at the end. The people at the vets were soooooooooo good to her and us. We had her cremated and when the DH picked her up he was also given a chiffon bag with a lock of her hair, a paw print in clay, and a card with all the staff's signatures. Just hoping we don't have to go thru this again because the vet still isn't letting owners in, even with shots and a mask. The DH whined but they said sorry, not yet and here in PA you can still do that.

BTW, Chewy sent roses when we canceled her dog food. Nice company, too bad Fed-x always delivers smashed boxes.

So now you see why all I did was screaming "nononono not again" when Matty was having his seizure. 

It's just too weird. We never even knew dogs had seizurse until Mac and now we have 2 more. I really think it's the flea and tick meds but the DH is worried it's the well water at the "play house" since Penny never had one until he started working there. We put most of the water thru a Birky water filter but not the dogs water. Well, we are now.

Oh, blogger decided to me nice and after working on this post for 3 days is letting me upload some pics. Here's Matty and the new pup, Micah at Christmas.