Friday, June 3, 2016

Cats who love toes or why does my cat have a foot fetish?



Little Orphan Andy, also known as the drooling boy, is the third cat I’ve had since I got married. The other 2 have gone to kitty heaven, at least I hope so ‘cause Merlin was one of those cats you have to wonder which way he’d end up.

Lo’ Andy showed up one day after Thanksgiving hiding in the front yard bushes. He barely looked old enough to be weaned so I started putting out bowls of milk and tuna. Soon he decided he had a good thing, what with the people tuna and milk, so he ‘adopted’ us. Yes I looked for his owner just not too hard ‘cause the little guy was already a real member of the family.

Matty, our lab, was very happy to have a new playmate and even learned how to play and not break Andy or get his eyes scratched out. This is very hard to do. I know from experience having had Merlin just miss my eye when playing. I ran around with a black eye and scratch holes at the bottom for a month. He did the same thing to the springer we had at the time, too. And you wonder why I’m not sure he went to kitty heaven. Maybe he didn’t come from there in the first place. He was one of those cats who like to hide, then jump out, and grab your ankles. He also liked to sit on the basement steps so he could reach thru and grab your head. Nothing like claw holes in your scalp that you have to explain to the person who cuts your hair.

But back to Andy and Matty. Matty is a lab who thinks he’s a small dog who should always be on your lap. Andy also likes to lap surf. As soon as one gets up the other takes his place. Nice when it’s cold but sweat inducing otherwise. Andy has another fav thing to do. The little guy loves to snuggle feet.

Here’s a typical night with Andy. I wake up and think it’s the middle of the night so I’ll be able to pee in peace (not that peeing is war ... unless you have a UTI and then it’s like your body’s having a war all on it’s own and you’re invited whether you want to be or not). Ok back to peeing quick and getting back to bed before I wake up so much my brain won’t let me go back to sleep (it's really mean and prefers to be up thinking and stuff instead of letting my body snooze). Problem is Andy has followed me and flops to the floor, purring loud enough to wake anyone not completely deaf or dead. Though, sometimes I wonder if he could wake the dead ‘cause he’s SO loud I can even hear him through the ear plugs I ‘m wearing (I need them because I have a husband who sometimes sounds like he’s trying to wake everyone in the neighborhood). Then it happens ... he flops on my feet and starts rubbing his head on my toes all the while drooling and purring. It doesn’t matter if I have socks on or bare feet as long as he can get to them. Super weird is that it happens most when I’m on the loo.

Did you know that today is Hug Your Cat Day? I didn’t till I looked at a calendar I have from author Sarah Addison Allen (LOVE her books!). It has all these odd days marked like Hug Your Cat day. I can’t wonder why cat owners have to be reminded to hug their cats. Are we supposed to be, oh yeah it’s hug your cat day again. Gee, it’s been a year since I last hugged my cat so I better get on it.

Andy’s here at my feet purring and drooling so after I get a kleenix to wipe off the drool I’ll give him his official hug. So hug your cat and just not one day a year.