Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Blue Ain’t Just a Color...



I’m feeling blue... not the color blue, ‘cause then I’d be happy since it’s one of my fav colors. Maybe it’s more like sad or melancholy. Why you ask (you’re such a nice person I just know you’d wonder what’s wrong)?

It’s because I just read a book call ‘Voracious’ by Cara Nicoletti. Don’t get me wrong, the book is really good and I liked it a lot. It’s just that as I read my way thru the chapters about books she read as a child and the recipes they inspired it brought back memories of  how my parents were of the opinion that school was for learning how to read so why should they teach me. All that ended up doing was to teach me what it was to be embarrassed at a very early age and increase the panic attacks I had since I was a toddler. Yeah, I know that seems pretty early to say I was having severe panic but it’s true.

Once I did learn to read and had read every book in my classroom library (every class had their own shelves of books deemed correct for that grade) 3 or more times, my parents didn’t think to take me to the town library for more books to read. When I reached 2nd grade the teacher decided to make getting a library card a homework assignment. I still remember my Dad taking me and having to lift me up because I was so short and the counter was so high. But the memory is bittersweet though ‘cause even though I now had something that I truly treasured I didn’t get to use it until much later.

I still can’t understand why these two people who read newspapers (sometimes 2 a day) and subscribed to a wide variety of magazines (usually 6-8) were so unsettled by the library they avoided it. I asked my Mom about it and got the impression it was the multitude of books and not knowing where to start. She also seemed to feel that she just wouldn’t fit in. For a fairly smart person with a great memory she has no confidence. As for Dad he always said the reading room where the newspapers and magazines were kept was too crowded. Truth is it usually was.

When I reached 7th grade and was walking to town by myself I started going to the library, too. Soon I was calling for a ride home because the stack of books I checked out was so large. Dad and I developed a system of when he had errands around town, I’d go along to go the library and stay there till he came in and got me. To this day I love to go to any of the local libraries. Even after reading an e-book I’ll often look for the printed version at one of the libraries.

Whoa, I really got off track. Now the reason this book (Voracious) made me blue was because I never got to read some of the books she writes about as a kid. I tend to get very upset I never read Winnie the Pooh as a child. Think it’s really weird the school didn’t have it and it’s not in Cara’s book .  Anne of Green Gables and the Little House on the Prairies weren’t in the school library either and that’s really surprising too. Some of her favs I did read in school but it still makes me sad I missed so many good books back then.

One happy memory I do have was when my parents bought me Dr. Seuss books, the Bobbsey Twins (which only made me want a twin so much I made up one and called her Suzie. My parents thought this was hilarious), and a lot of others. But I’m still sad for all the ones I didn’t have as a child and reading them as an adult hasn’t helped this feeling go away.

I’m jealous of people like Cara who talk about going home as an adult to find their childhood books either still on shelves or packed away where they can get them. My Mom knowing that we were a bit better off than other family members was a big believer that when you out grew anything (clothes, toys, and books) you gave it away to someone who could use it. When I got married and she saw my husband still had many of his childhood books she apologized for giving mine away knowing I would have cherished them. It was nice but it didn’t fill the hole they left. I guess if I had a kid I would have bought all the books I loved and lots of new ones but I don’t so I didn’t.

I’m also jealous of kids whose parents read them to sleep. My Mom was more the “I’ll sing a song or we’ll recite nursery rhymes” type. She didn’t have the patience to read me to sleep. She knew a book would only keep me awake as I would want just one more chapter, then another, and another. Just like now when I’ll end up reading all night or until J. comes out and grumbles at me for still being up. This is why even though I love regular books my Nook comes in handy. With the light up screen I can read in the dark and if I hear him getting up I just put the nook face down and hope he thinks I fell asleep in the living room because I was too sick to come to bed (I have a lot of stomach distress). Crap, I’m an adult and I’m still acting like a kid with a flashlight under the covers. Wonder how old you have to be to stop feeling guilty about staying up reading when you should be in bed?



Just a few of my books. BTW, they're 2 deep on the shelves and there's more shelves with more books. Gotta stop going to library book sales.